Monday, January 12, 2009

Our first known Wooten's in America

VIRGINIA PATENT RECORDS SHOW THAT IN JUNE, 1639, AN EARLY VIRGINIA PLANTER NAMED JOHN PAWLEY PAID FOR PASSAGE OF 12 IMMIGRANTS FROM ENGLAND, AMONG THEM A THOMAS WATTON. PAWLEY TOOK OUT HIS PATENT NEAR THE HEAD OF THE LAWNES CREEK ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE JAMES RIVER, WHERE JAMES CITY CO. AND ISLE OF WIGHT CO. THEN MET. CA 1640 A WILLIAM TRODLODER TRANSFERRED 150 ACRES TO THOMAS WATTON. THOMAS MARRIED WIDOW OF ARTHUR WOOD SOME TIME AFTER 1646.

Will of Thomas Wotton: Dated 3-15-1669
In the Name of God Amen, I Thomas Wotton being sick & weak in Body, but of good and perfect memories praised be the almighty God for it, I ordain this my last will and testament, that this to say I give my soul to God my maker & Christ my redeemer, hoping in his mercies to have pardon for my sins, my body I Comitt to the ground, to be buried as my executors deem good, I ordain my well loved wife Sara Wotton Richard Wotton my only & true begotten sonne, my Executors of this my last will and Testament That is to Say, after my debts being first paid: I give my wife's sonn Thomas Wood the worth of twohund pence, and no more. And all the rest of my goods, that is to say, land houses cattell & hoggs & household goods I give to my wife Sara Wotton & Richard Wotton my only sonne. And I leave my estate to my wife & sonne Richard wholly & fully. And after my decease, I ordain my sonn: Richard Wotton, wholy executor to look after the estate. And after my wife's decease my sonne Richard to be possessed of the estate wholly , and after my sonn Richard's decease, he having no issue, I give it to my next kinn of Name in Northampton Shire att a town called Castor neere unto Peterborough: And I desire my loveing friends James Sampson and Richard Briggs to be overseers of this my last will & testament. Amen, written in one sheete of paper in the year of our lord God march the 15th day 1669
Wit. Thomas Wotton
Elizabeth Sampson
This will is proved by the oath of Mrs. Elizabeth Sampson in open Corte held for the Isle of Wight County this Ninth Day of December 1670 and then Recorded y m: Jno Jennings Cl Cur
This Indenture made the 14th day of January Anno Domini 1668 Between Thomas Wood Sonne of Arthur Wood and Sarah Wooton, his mother & Relict of Arthur Wood decsd of the one part and Richard Bennett of Blackwater of the other part... by these presents for ever pass over unto him the said Richard Bennett his Heirs Extrs Adms and Assigns for ever, A certain parcel of Land containing One Hundred Acres...Beginning upon the Mouth of the South Branch and soe runing along the Branch to a marked pine, and from the said marked pine to __?__ into Tho. Woods and his broadth (?) to runn also northerly by the Main Swamp, this aforesaid Land lying att Blackwater in the County of Isle of Wight, this said land being included & contained in a pattent of Seaven hundred & forty six acres taken up by Francis (?) England in the year of our Lord 1645..." signed (by hand) Tho. Wood, Sarah Wooton (her mark). Wit: Thomas Wooton (by hand), Richard Wooton (by mark)Proved in Open Court for the Isle of Wight County this 16th day of Nov 1669. Signed by John Jennings, clerk. The deed was proved by Thomas Wood and Sarah Wooton in open court. (IOW WDB I, pp 199-200)

No comments:

Post a Comment